This task, which is similar in format to those which can found on http://www.openmiddle.com/
Dan Meyer describes these problems as such:
- they have a “closed beginning” meaning that they all start with the same initial problem.
- they have a “closed end” meaning that they all end with the same answer.
- they have an “open middle” meaning that there are multiple ways to approach and ultimately solve the problem.
- They often have multiple ways of solving them as opposed to a problem where you are told to solve it using a specific method.
- They may involve optimization such that it is easy to get an answer but more challenging to get the best or optimal answer.